The Open Weekend, 12 & 13 September 2015
With rising fuel costs and reducing household incomes, many of us are looking for ways to cut costs. The fossil fuels we use to heat our homes, clean and deliver our water, and produce and deliver our food, are significant contributors to climate change. Is it possible to reduce your bills and make a small contribution to reducing carbon emissions? There are many people across Cheltenham who believe they can make a difference. Some of them are opening their homes on 12th and 13th September to show what they have done. This is an opportunity to see real examples of what people have done, talk to the householders about their experiences, the advantages and disadvantages, and get an unbiased view with no hard sell.
What will you be able to see over the weekend?
- Solar hot water panels (generating hot water)
- Solar photovoltaics (generating electricity)
- Mechanical ventilation with heat recovery
- Both internal and external insulation and various forms of draught proofing
- LED lighting
- Air and water source heat pumps
- Sustainable gardens
- There will also be lots more from sun-pipes and wildlife gardens to triple glazing and rainwater harvesting.